Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Dear Extern Applicant,
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department offers 2, 3, and 4 week externships at The Medical Center of Louisiana, University Hospital of New Orleans to expose dental students to the full scope of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. (One week externships are considered on a case by case basis.) Students will receive supervision by the residents and staff at LSU, and will be encouraged to function at a high limit of capability, which includes taking emergency calls with our residents.
The Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery outpatient clinic at University Hospital sees over 17,000 patients per year. The inpatient daily surgical service census is between 5 – 15 patients at a given time and exposes the residents to training in all aspects of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Three full elective operating days per week includes cases of hard and soft tissue reconstruction, orthognathic surgery, temporomandibular disorders, orofacial anomalies, facial trauma, pathology, perprosthetic surgery, and advanced exodontia.
The requirements are that the student be registered as a junior or senior student from an accredited school in the United States or Canada (others will be considered on a case by case basis). The student must be in the top third of his/her class with a letter of support from the chief of his/her Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and the Dean of the dental school.
LSU or University Hospital will provide no stipend or funding. Room facilities (not private) are available at no cost in the on-call quarters at University Hospital. Two students per time slot will be selected. Meals are not included but often we are able to provide cafeteria vouchers for at least some of your meals. Externs should bring their own scrubs (green), stethoscope, etc.
More information about the externship are offered at the links below:
|Extern Experience||Extern Prelimanary Schedule||Extern Advertisement|
Before we can proceed with the evaluation of your application, we will need the following:
• A recent photograph of yourself
• A letter of recommendation from the Dean of your dental school
• A letter of recommendation from the Head of the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Department in your dental school
• A statement of your class standing (should be in the top 1/3) (Let your dean or student affairs office know we would like this information provided in their letter.)
• Completed Student Affairs Form
• Completed Hospital appointment & confidentiality forms
• Your alternate dates of availability
• Your personal letter of request for application
• A letter from applicant’s dental school verifying malpractice coverage
• Proof of health insurance coverage
• NBME & Board Scores (if available)
Please submit this information as soon as possible. Once approved there are a few other forms that will need to be filled out in order to get institutional I.D. badges. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at :
Jessica Helgeson, MBA, Residency Coordinator
LSUHSC Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
1100 Florida Ave., Box 220
New Orleans, LA 70119
Phone 504-941-8212 / FAX 504-941-8218