Apply via
Sept. 15 - Nov. 1

Want More Information?

Review the Frequently Asked Questions here

Contact:  Adriana Cordero Wilson, DDS, MsD
Telephone:  504-619-8285

LSU School of Dentistry Internationally Educated Dentist Program

Frequently Asked Questions IEDP

I applied to the program last year but I was not accepted. Can I re-apply?

How can I apply?
Applications are completed through CAAPID, please check CAAPID website. Applications will open for LSUHSC SD on September 15th.

Will my application be reviewed if a document is missing?
No, only complete applications will be reviewed.

Can I apply directly to LSU without using CAAPID?
No. We will only accept applications that are initially from CAAPID.

Do I need to take the National Board Dental Examination Requirements?
The program requires passage of NBDE Part I. Also, the program will accept passage of Integrated National Board Dental Examination (INBDE).

Do I have to take the TOEFL?
Non-English-speaking applicants are required to take the TOEFL. The program accepts internet- based TOEFL exams with an average score of 100 or above. TOEFL may be waived if a candidate has a degree from a U.S. accredited college or university (must submit certificate of graduation). TOEFL scores are valid for 2 years from the exam date. Home TOEFL exam is also accepted.

When are interviews conducted?
You will be notified via email if you are invited for an interview. The interview invitation will include the exact date and time (usually November & December).

What should I expect at the interview?
The interview will include an interview with faculty and a bench test.

How will I know if I have been selected for an interview?
If you are selected for an interview, you will be notified via email. An interview does not guarantee that you are admitted into the program.

What should I expect for the interview and bench test?
Interview and bench test will be completed in one day. In the morning applicants will be conducted to the Sim Lab and the bench test will be completed in 3 hours (9-12pm). Followed by a lunch break, in the afternoon an interview of each applicant will be conducted with the interview committee.

Can I work while in the program?
This is a full-time program; therefore, you cannot work.

Can I take the Louisiana board exam after completing the program?
Once you complete the program, you are eligible to take most state or regional licensing exams in the US. Slight variations exist from state to state, so you should check with individual states to confirm eligibility.

Is GPA the most important admission factor?
No. We strive for a diverse group of students with a variety of clinical backgrounds, work experience, and research experience. Interview skills are important as well as grades.

Do I need to take the ADAT?
The ADAT is not required for admission; however, if you have taken the ADAT you may include your score in your application.

What other items are of importance to the Admissions Committee?
Many things, including but not limited to:  letters of evaluation, your personal statement, your CV, interview, extracurricular activities, knowledge of dentistry, and work history.

If I get accepted, when will I be notified?
Letters of acceptance for the program are generally extended 1-2 months after the interviews.

Are there any type of scholarships or financial aid available?
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center does not offer any scholarships.

When do I need to submit my supplemental application materials?
You will need to submit your supplemental application materials once your CAAPID has been submitted. Your full name and CAAPID ID # needs to be added in the check's description.

Can I be reimbursed if I withdraw my application after submitting it?
There is no refund for the application fee.

Why do you not accept E.C.E. evaluations, board and TOEFL scores submitted directly by the services?
We want these documents submitted through CAAPID. This is to ensure that we have all the requested documents with your application. This is in your best interest. In the past, evaluations have reached us much later than the applications, or are occasionally delivered to the wrong address, or may not reach us at all. Incomplete applications cannot be reviewed. Our decision to invite an applicant for an interview is based on all the material in one submission. Thus, you cannot resubmit a score if you retake a test or if you reevaluate your credentials.

If I have been accepted to another school but prefer Louisiana State University, but I have not heard from you, what do I do?
In that special situation, we suggest that you email us and we will give you the information we have regarding your status.

What do I do if the answer is that there is no decision yet?
Don't take any chances. If you are one of the lucky ones to get accepted in another program, don't count on something that has not yet been decided.

Can I send my CV to be reviewed before submitting the application?
No, we ask that you review our website where all the information regarding applications is. We will only review complete applications.

I have specialty training in my home country. Will that increase my chances of being accepted?
It does not automatically increase your chances, but any further education may be valuable for your ranking.

I submitted my application a while ago and I have not heard from you. What do I do now?
We receive many applications and organizing the paperwork takes a considerable amount of time. Once this process is complete and we have all the components of your application you will be notified via email (processing time is reduced if all components are received in one package).

If I am unable to get an evaluation letter from the dean of my school, who should my letters come from?
If you cannot get a letter from the dean, you may submit (3) letters of recommendation from faculty at your dental school and/or one from an employer.

Can I apply if I already have an F1 visa?
Yes, students on a F1 visa are eligible to apply. If accepted into the program, we will have to coordinate the visa transfer to LSU.

Can I apply if I have a J2 visa?
Yes, students on a J2 visa are eligible to apply. A J2 visa holder can enroll full-time without having to change visa. If accepted, they just have to be mindful of the amount of time you have remaining in available as J2. Otherwise you will have to convert to an F1 in the middle of the program, which can be done but requires planning in advance.

Can I apply if I have a H4 visa?
Yes. For more information, please visit:  https://www.lsuhsc.edu/administration/academic/ois/h4_dependents.aspx


LSU Health Sciences Center Homepage
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy
Copyright 2021. All rights reserved.

Last Update 9/2019