Back to Advanced Education Programs

Advanced Education Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Can you explain the jurisprudence examination?
A:  The jurisprudence examination is an examination testing your knowledge of Louisiana laws as they apply to the practice of dentistry. Passing this examination is required by the Louisiana State Board of Dentistry before they will issue a Restricted License that allows Advanced Education students/residents to provide treatment for patients only in the LSUHSC clinics. After submitting an application for a restricted license, you must take and pass this examination. Please be advised that we recommend you apply for the Restricted License and take the jurisprudence exam even if you have already applied for full licensure. Full licensing can take months for processing. Without a license, you cannot provide treatment to patients in the LSUHSC clinics.

Q:  After completion of the program, am I eligible to apply for full licensure with the Louisiana State Board of Dentistry?
A:  To qualify for a dental license in the state of Louisiana, you must have completed at least 2 consecutive years in one program.

Q:  I applied last year with PASS. What do I need to do to re-activate my application?
A:  Your application is kept on file at LSUSD Advanced Education for 1 year. A letter in writing plus payment of the $50.00 application fee will re-activate your application. All applicants, including PASS applicants, will not need to submit another application, but we do request that the application be updated. This update should include any new employment or education and an updated transcript if this was not complete in the prior application. This is particularly important for applicants who had not received their dental diploma at the time of the prior application.

Q:  Does LSUHSC School of Dentistry have a program for graduates of foreign dental schools (not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation) that would make them eligible to obtain a license in Louisiana?
A:  Yes, please see the LSUHSC School of Dentistry IEDP website for more information.

Q:  Do the Advanced Education (residency) programs accept graduates of foreign dental schools?
A:  Graduates of foreign dental schools are not allowed to participate in paid GME positions at the LSUHSC hospitals (Oral Surgery and GPR programs). Graduates of foreign dental schools may, however, be accepted as Fellows, rotating at different hospitals as directed by the program director. There is no stipend for a Fellow, and Fellows will be responsible for all living expenses. The programs in endodontics, orthodontics, periodontics, pediatric dentistry, and prosthodontics do accept graduates of foreign dental schools.

Q:  What is the TOEFL score that is acceptable to the program?
A:  The Advanced Education programs require a score of 550 on the paper-based examination or the equivalent on the computer-based examination. This is the same score required for admission to the LSUHSC School of Graduate Studies.

Q:  If I took the TOEFL test 3 to 5 years ago, is my score still acceptable?
A:  Scores cannot be more than 2 years old.

Q:  Are the National Board Examinations, Part I and Part II, required for application by graduates of foreign dental schools?
A:  Yes, National Board Examinations, Part I and Part II, are both required for all LSUHSC School of Dentistry advanced education programs. Graduates of foreign dental schools, however, frequently have not taken these examinations. Only the Program Director of each program can approve deviations from this requirement.

Q:  What are the visa requirements for Advanced Education students/residents?
A:  If a foreign student is accepted into a hospital-based residency program, Advanced Education can apply for a H-1B visa. Anyone coming into the US on an H-1B must be paid by the LSUHSC prevailing wage. No "gratis" or "volunteer" appointments are allowed under the H-1B visa classification by USCIS.

Foreign students in the dental school-based programs are eligible for an F-1 student visa. Advanced Education will apply for this visa. Anyone on an F-1 visa must actually be enrolled full-time in a program and must be considered a full time student.

LSU Health Sciences Center Homepage
Disclaimer, Privacy Policy
Copyright 2021. All rights reserved.

Last Update 4/2010